- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Hannibal to pursue flood buyout program
HANNIBAL, Mo. (AP) -- The city of Hannibal is exploring a buyout of homes affected by this summer's flood.
The Hannibal City Council on Tuesday agreed to develop a draft program that would be brought back to the council for review.
City Manager Jeff LaGarce said some homeowners have expressed interest in such a program.
If the program moves forward, the Federal Emergency Management Agency would pay 75 percent of the buyout cost. The remaining 25 percent would be matched locally.
LaGarce said the city would pursue a $500,000 Community Development Block Grant to fund its 25 percent local match.