- Combinations for tomato season (05/01/16)
- Try these dip ideas for party season (04/24/16)
- Refreshing entree salad recipes (04/17/16)
- A Southern Illinois favorite and other buttery recipes (04/10/16)
- Recipes to celebrate a special birthday -- or a championship (04/03/16)
- Sauce and grill options to try this barbecue season (03/27/16)
- Tasty options for Easter dinner (03/20/16)
Good deeds: Woman volunteers talk time
Carol Steiner, a resident of Jackson only since April, knew she wanted to help homebound elderly people with consistent five minute phone calls at least during the week, as a way of letting them know they were not alone. She had provided this volunteer service at Holy Spirit Church in Memphis, Tenn. for about three years before moving to Jackson. Steiner just began her newly created volunteer assignment and will later determine if the service will be provided on the weekend.
Steiner called the Volunteer Intergenerational Center who linked her with 25 homebound meal recipients at the Senior Center in Cape Girardeau who gave their permission and desired time to be contacted.
Steiner said, "I love people," and described her first day as "very warmly received."
Cape Senior Center administrator Susan McClanahan believed the service would also help meal delivery drivers complete their assignments quicker by doing a quick assessment of the elderly homebound members of the community and leaving the conversation to Steiner.