- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Former Missouri alderman fatally shot
REPUBLIC, Mo. (AP) -- Police are investigating the fatal shooting of a former Republic alderman at a city park.
Police Chief Mark F. Lowe says 28-year-old Joshua Morris died in a Springfield hospital Sunday after suffering a single gunshot wound at J.R. Martin Park in Republic.
Lowe says Rachelle Hansen, Morris' former wife, was at the scene and is being questioned.
Police called the incident a "questionable death." A weapon was recovered from the scene.
Lowe says he believes it's the first shooting in Republic in six years.
Morris was a realtor and served as an alderman from 2005-2007.
Morris won re-election in 2007 but had to resign because he moved outside the ward he was to represent. Morris still served on the city's planning and zoning board.