- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Neighbors mystified over why man was killed by state trooper (05/03/16)20
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- 'American Pickers' visits Poplar Bluff (04/29/16)
Area digest 8/4/08
Swingle, Shupert among junior tennis champs
Veronica Swingle defeated Susanna Hayward 8-4 in all-Cape Girardeau final for the 14-and-under girls division Saturday at the Jammin' Juniors Outdoor Tennis Tournament.
The tournament was played at Central High School's tennis courts.
The boys 14-and-under division also was an all-Cape final with Austin Shupert edging Ryan Watts 9-8.
In 18-and-under exhibition matches, Maura Naeder of Jackson beat Campbell Moore of Sikeston 6-3. 6-1 in the girls match, while Meyer Neel of Sikeston defeated Landon Hampton of Sikeston 9-8 in the boys match.
In the 12-and-under division, Shane Wright of Cape Girardeau defeated Lucy Kunz of Jackson 8-2.
Gieblers help pace winning foursome
Brevin Giebler and Sharon Giebler made up half of the winning foursome Saturday in the Dalhousie Cup event at Dalhousie Golf Club.
The tournament featured teams with three leaders and one professional or amateur in a two best-ball net format.
The Gieblers, Alice Temm and Deanna Estes combined for a 122 score. The foursome won by two strokes over Rob Sedoreck, Jane E. Kuenzle, Shelly Weible and Janie Morrell.
In third with 128 was the team of Ben Cantrell, Carol Largent, Bev Metheny and Phyllis Seabaugh.
Dalhousie managing member Cord Dombrowski was part of the fourth-place team with Harriette Myers, Ann Dombrowski and Nancy Settles. They had a 129 total.
Also in fourth was the team of Scott Roe, Terri Parmly, Robin Davis and Eileen Owens.
Closest-to-the-pin honors went to Myers on Nos. 5 and 13, Deloris Williams on No. 8, Connie Dodson with a hole in one on No. 11.
Cape Girardeau Girls Softball League
Holder's Machine Shop 9, North Star 5
Junior Division League Tournament at Arena Park
WP — Macy Hall; LP — Hailey Glastetter. Leading hitters: North Star, Shelby Rhymer 2-2, Cesia Seyer 2-3; Holder's, Brooke Baugher 3-3, Jenna Cummins 2-3 (2B), Kristy Moit (2B), Sierra Irions (2B), Jenna Cummins (2B).
Notes: Holder's Machine Shop, which had come through the winners bracket, won the league tournament championship with the decision after falling 5-4 in a previous meeting with North Star, which emerged from the elimination bracket, to set up the decisive game of the tourney.