- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Man injured Tuesday in I-55 single car crash
An unidentified 80-year-old man was taken to Saint Francis Medical Center Tuesday afternoon after a single car crash in Cape Girardeau.
The man, driving a Nissan Sentra, was southbound on Interstate 55 near the 93 mile marker and began taking the ramp to U.S. 61 when he struck a yield sign, according to Cape Girardeau Police Department Sgt. Kevin Orr.
The car moved back into the roadway, crossing I-55's southbound lanes and stopping in the median, "Both airbags did deploy in the crash. The seat belt was not used," he said.
The crash remains under investigation, but the cause appears to be improper lane use, Orr said.
"There is a likelihood of citations being issued," he said. "At times, in these cases, we do ask a lot of drivers to be retested [for driving competency], if we have cause."