- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Florissant mom sentenced to 15 years after toddler's death
CLAYTON, Mo. (AP) -- A St. Louis County mother is sentenced to 15 years in prison in connection with the death of her child.
Lasha Roberts of Florissant was sentenced Friday after an alford plea in the case. That means she did not admit guilt, but conceded the state had sufficient evidence to convict her of second-degree murder and abuse of a child resulting in death.
Investigators say her 2-year-old son, Jonathan Cooper, died of blunt head trauma and that the 2006 autopsy showed evidence of past injuries.
Roberts at first told investigators the boy was hurt after falling off a bunk bed.
Information from: KSDK-TV, http://www.ksdk.com