- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Herbert A. "Hub" Holzum, 69, of Chester, Ill., passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2008, at St. Ann's Healthcare Center in Chester.
He was born to the late Edward and Josephine B. Vandeven Holzum on Oct. 24, 1938, in Leopold, Mo. Hub married Mary C. "Connie" Cushman on Aug. 23, 1958, at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Chester.
Hub was a traffic manager at Gilster-Mary Lee Corp. more than 30 years.
He was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church and 3rd Degree member of Knights of Columbus 3790, both in Chester. He had served on St. Mary's School Board and Chester School Board. He was a past alderman.
Survivors include his wife; four children and spouses, Jeff (Mary) Holzum of Cape Girardeau, Sheryl (Sam) Hammel of Arvada, Colo., Christy (Chip) Wittenbrink of Kingwood, Texas, Greg (Amy) Holzum of Fishers, Ind.; four sisters and two brothers-in-law, Beulah Beussink of Jackson, Edna (Lewis) Rubin of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Corrinne Tenholder of Waterloo, Ill., Carol (Von) Counts of Marble Hill, Mo.; a brother and sister-in-law, Kenny (Diane) Holzum of Glenallen, Mo.
Also a sister-in-law, Dorothy Holzum of Jackson; a brother-in-law, Bob Volpert of Hecker, Ill.; mother-in-law, Fern Cushman of Chester; six grandchildren, Garrett (Hannah) Holzum, Brandon Holzum, Brittney Wittenbrink, Sabrina Wittenbrink, Austin Holzum and Zachary Holzum; many nieces, nephews, cousins and friends.
He was preceded in death by his parents; a brother, Vernon Holzum; and a sister, Grace Volpert.
Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Sunday and from 7:30 to 10:45 a.m. Monday at Pechacek-McClure Funeral Home in Chester.
Funeral Mass will be at 11 a.m. Monday at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Chester, with the Rev. Allen Maes officiating. Interment will be in St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery in Chester.
Memorials may be made to St. Mary's Catholic School.