- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)36
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Herbert A. "Hub" Holzum, 69, of Chester, Ill., passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2008, at St. Ann's Healthcare Center in Chester.
He was born to the late Edward and Josephine B. Vandeven Holzum on Oct. 24, 1938, in Leopold, Mo. Hub married Mary C. "Connie" Cushman on Aug. 23, 1958, at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Chester.
Hub was a traffic manager at Gilster-Mary Lee Corp. more than 30 years.
He was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church and 3rd Degree member of Knights of Columbus 3790, both in Chester. He had served on St. Mary's School Board and Chester School Board. He was a past alderman.
Survivors include his wife; four children and spouses, Jeff (Mary) Holzum of Cape Girardeau, Sheryl (Sam) Hammel of Arvada, Colo., Christy (Chip) Wittenbrink of Kingwood, Texas, Greg (Amy) Holzum of Fishers, Ind.; four sisters and two brothers-in-law, Beulah Beussink of Jackson, Edna (Lewis) Rubin of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Corrinne Tenholder of Waterloo, Ill., Carol (Von) Counts of Marble Hill, Mo.; a brother and sister-in-law, Kenny (Diane) Holzum of Glenallen, Mo.
Also a sister-in-law, Dorothy Holzum of Jackson; a brother-in-law, Bob Volpert of Hecker, Ill.; mother-in-law, Fern Cushman of Chester; six grandchildren, Garrett (Hannah) Holzum, Brandon Holzum, Brittney Wittenbrink, Sabrina Wittenbrink, Austin Holzum and Zachary Holzum; many nieces, nephews, cousins and friends.
He was preceded in death by his parents; a brother, Vernon Holzum; and a sister, Grace Volpert.
Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Sunday and from 7:30 to 10:45 a.m. Monday at Pechacek-McClure Funeral Home in Chester.
Funeral Mass will be at 11 a.m. Monday at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Chester, with the Rev. Allen Maes officiating. Interment will be in St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery in Chester.
Memorials may be made to St. Mary's Catholic School.