- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)6
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)3
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Fireman provides great send-off
To the editor:
I would like to thank the battalion chief at the Cape Girardeau Fire Department for his assistance July 19 while my daughter and I were in Cape Girardeau.
Sarah had recently graduated from Southeast Missouri State University, and we were in town to help her move when she had car trouble.
While there's never an opportune time to have car trouble, what a blessing that we became aware of the problem in front of the fire station rather than on the interstate, in the rain or in the dark later in the day. The fireman stopped to assist us and was able to temporarily repair her car well enough that she could drive back to St. Louis safely.
What a wonderful memory of her final day in Cape Girardeau. You should feel proud to have such a caring individual serving your community.
NANCY GEORGE, Springfield, Ill.