- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)3
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)3
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)25
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
- Cape woman hopes son's death in Chattanooga will lead to better policing (11/30/16)11
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
Fireman provides great send-off
To the editor:
I would like to thank the battalion chief at the Cape Girardeau Fire Department for his assistance July 19 while my daughter and I were in Cape Girardeau.
Sarah had recently graduated from Southeast Missouri State University, and we were in town to help her move when she had car trouble.
While there's never an opportune time to have car trouble, what a blessing that we became aware of the problem in front of the fire station rather than on the interstate, in the rain or in the dark later in the day. The fireman stopped to assist us and was able to temporarily repair her car well enough that she could drive back to St. Louis safely.
What a wonderful memory of her final day in Cape Girardeau. You should feel proud to have such a caring individual serving your community.
NANCY GEORGE, Springfield, Ill.