- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Federal jury finds surgeon Fonn guilty of kickback scheme (11/10/17)4
- Jackson elementary students try to help others with 'kindness boxes' (11/6/17)1
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- Aldi store reopens after renovations (11/14/17)3
- Chantelle Becking strives to make a difference through her family and community (11/10/17)
- Residents view pedestrian bridge as eyesore; city manager says it's designed to rust (11/13/17)8
- Cape County boy writes letter, hears from President Donald Trump (11/10/17)
- Medical marijuana may go to voters for decision (11/8/17)4
- Fourth-grade teacher Andrea Cox teaches students how to code, adapt to new technology (11/10/17)
Fireman provides great send-off
To the editor:
I would like to thank the battalion chief at the Cape Girardeau Fire Department for his assistance July 19 while my daughter and I were in Cape Girardeau.
Sarah had recently graduated from Southeast Missouri State University, and we were in town to help her move when she had car trouble.
While there's never an opportune time to have car trouble, what a blessing that we became aware of the problem in front of the fire station rather than on the interstate, in the rain or in the dark later in the day. The fireman stopped to assist us and was able to temporarily repair her car well enough that she could drive back to St. Louis safely.
What a wonderful memory of her final day in Cape Girardeau. You should feel proud to have such a caring individual serving your community.
NANCY GEORGE, Springfield, Ill.