- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Committee to start planning process for indoor aquatic center in Cape (6/20/18)1
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Southeast to spend $150,000 to refresh brand with Ohio firm (6/19/18)6
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)1
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
- Jackson natives compete in 260-mile canoe race (6/16/18)1
- Mother, child reportedly hit by car in Cape Girardeau (6/18/18)
- Neal Boyd blessed us all with his God-given talent (6/19/18)
Fireman provides great send-off
To the editor:
I would like to thank the battalion chief at the Cape Girardeau Fire Department for his assistance July 19 while my daughter and I were in Cape Girardeau.
Sarah had recently graduated from Southeast Missouri State University, and we were in town to help her move when she had car trouble.
While there's never an opportune time to have car trouble, what a blessing that we became aware of the problem in front of the fire station rather than on the interstate, in the rain or in the dark later in the day. The fireman stopped to assist us and was able to temporarily repair her car well enough that she could drive back to St. Louis safely.
What a wonderful memory of her final day in Cape Girardeau. You should feel proud to have such a caring individual serving your community.
NANCY GEORGE, Springfield, Ill.