- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
Dean right on U.N. foot-dragging
To the editor:
Howard Dean has got it right about the United Nations and our allies dragging their collective feet when the tough decisions need to be made. The Arab militia Janjaweed has been burning villages and raping their inhabitants for several months.
Kofi Annan has accepted the Islamic Sudanese government's word that reports of violence are either false or greatly exaggerated. Annan appears to owe his job as head of the United Nations to the 64 Muslim nations that voted for him.
The Janjaweed are not killing the southern Sudanese just because they are Christian. Many of them are Muslim. They are killing them because they are black and because many of those who are not Muslim rebelled against the Islamic law (Shar'ia) that punishes them through extra taxation (jizya) for not being Muslim.
If Dean is not more careful with publishing his honest thoughts, he may find himself removed from John Kerry's team. I will definitely start reading more of Dean's columns that you publish.
ROBERT LUCAS, Cape Girardeau