- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/01/16)
Community Briefs 7/21/08
Wii tournaments to be held at senior center
Wii bowling tournaments will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday this week and next week at the Cape Girardeau Senior Center. Seniors or disabled people are invited to attend. There is no fee. For more information, call Susie Gilmer at 576-5334.
Southeast Council on Philanthropy meets
The Southeast Council on Philanthropy will hold a quarterly luncheon from 11:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. Thursday, followed by an educational workshop from 1:30 to 3 p.m. in the Harrison Room at Southeast Missouri Hospital in Cape Girardeau. The topic, "Building Your Capacity: Focusing Your Efforts for Maximum Results," will be presented by Jack Kerber, managing partner for Skystone Ryan Inc., a consulting group in St. Louis. There is no charge to council members or first-time guests, but reservations are required. For more information, call 651-5935.
Cape Friends to hold dance and contest
A contra dance and watermelon seed-spitting contest will be from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Aug. 2 at Christ Episcopal Church, 101 N. Fountain St. in Cape Girardeau. There will be a live string band and free beginner's lessons from 6:45 to 7 p.m. Prizes in the seed-spitting contest will be for distance, accuracy and artistic form. For more information, call John or Kathy Coffman at 334-4706, Judy Bradley at 334-5289 or John Boyd at 335-7315.
Bowling tournament fundraiser
The American Cancer Society fundraising bowling tournament will be Aug. 21 at Main Street Lanes in Jackson. Registration will be at 6 p.m. Bowling will be from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., followed by awards and karaoke in the bar area. Team members and lane sponsorships are being sought. For more information, call Kaci Hubbard at 334-9352.
-- From staff reports