- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)3
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Jury finds Harris guilty of murder, 3 other counts (9/15/17)4
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Young entrepreneurs add fresh ideas, unique offerings for area market (9/18/17)
Old Town Cape
Old Town Cape recently celebrated its ninth anniversary.
The organization has a guiding hand in many different projects, including Libertyfest, Tunes at Twilight and the Christmas Parade of Lights. Old Town Cape is also involved in nuts-and-bolts planning for the downtown district, which includes 130 blocks of the oldest part of Cape Girardeau.
Included is Old Town Cape's strategic plans and dealings with the state's DREAM Initiative, short for Downtown Revitalization and Economic Assistance for Missouri. These plans include focus groups, a community survey, a land use and infrastructure study, a visitor survey and tourism and marketing assessments.
The parties and parades all help downtown, but it's the planning and community cooperation that can make a significant, long-term difference.
Happy birthday, Old Town Cape. Here's to many more.