- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Out of the past 8/21/04
10 years ago: Aug. 21, 1994
The Rev. Mark H. Anderson assumes pastorate of Lynwood Baptist Church; he comes to Cape Girardeau from Broken Arrow, Okla., where he was associate pastor at First Baptist Church.
FARRAR, Mo. - The Rev. Robert W. Schneider is installed as new pastor of Salem Lutheran Church in Farrar and Zion Lutheran Church in Crosstown; he has been pastor of Immanuel Lutheran Church in Rosebud since 1990.
25 years ago: Aug. 21, 1979
Aldermen from Illmo and Scott City tentatively decided last night that Scott City would be appropriate name for proposed consolidated community; name of Newport had been proposed for new town.
Residents in Allenville and Whitewater area have been concerned for last several years with lack of adequate fire protection in area; in past, residents have been served by Delta Fire Department; but Delta firefighters now refuse to cross structurally weak Whitewater bridge; that, coupled with collapse of Allenville bridge over Little River drainage ditch, means Delta trucks must travel through Dutchtown to answer fires in Whitewater and Allenville.
50 years ago: Aug. 21, 1954
A $250,000 expansion program that will extend J.C. Penney Co. store through from Main Street to Spanish Street and will allow it to enlarge all departments is announced by James R. Mahan, manager, following negotiations of long-term lease with Charles A. Juden.
Rush H. Limbaugh, who attended annual meeting of American Bar Association in Chicago, was made chairman of a major section of association, honor never before conferred on anyone other than big-city lawyer.
75 years ago: Aug. 21, 1929
MALDEN, Mo. - Wreckage of Missouri Pacific freight train, derailed three miles south of here last night, is being searched for possible additional bodies of victims killed when 18 cars of fast through train piled up on right of way after axle bar on one car gave way; three men are known to have been killed.
Employees of Rouse Construction Co. are making sub-surfacing preparations before paving begins on connection of West Broadway with new paving on U.S. 61 at west city limits.
-- Sharon K. Sanders