- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Sports briefs 8/21/04
Construction Technology Laboratories will evaluate the ballpark this weekend and verify that repairs made in 2001 were completed correctly, Buildings Commissioner Stan Kaderbek announced Friday in a news release.
The Skokie-based company is expected to submit its report to the city by noon Monday. At that point, Kaderbek said he will decide whether the ballpark is safe for fans.
The Internal Revenue Service filed a federal tax lien in Broward County on Tuesday alleging that baseball's career hits leader owes $973,693.28 in back taxes from 1997 to 2002.
Ross Tannenbaum, president of Dreams Inc., the marketing firm that handles Rose's business affairs, said Friday that the lien is against a home Rose owns in California. He said the filing is not an indication that the former Cincinnati Reds star and manager is in danger of returning to prison over his taxes.
Rain Friday washed out qualifying for the GFS Marketplace 400, and the field was filled mostly by car-owner points. Series leader Jimmie Johnson and runner-up Jeff Gordon will start side-by-side in the front row of the 43-car field, just as they did a week earlier at Watkins Glen International.
The top seed and five-time champion had a far easier time than No. 2 Lleyton Hewitt, who advanced to his sixth semifinal of the season with a 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (5) victory over seventh-seeded Cyril Saulnier.
Hewitt will face fourth-seeded Robby Ginepri, a 6-3, 7-6 (3) winner over Raemon Sluiter. Agassi will play the winner of Friday's late final quarterfinal match between Gilles Muller and qualifier Michel Kratochvil.