- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Jackson police describe night of anger, car crashes, drug possession by 18-year-old (1/22/17)5
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- A message from heaven (1/23/17)
- Local students to perform with choir at inauguration (1/19/17)3
- Southeast to lose $3.5 million from state in budget cuts (1/18/17)21
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Area residents among those attending inauguration, women's march (1/22/17)90
- Comedian, cancer survivor Tom Green headlines sold-out Cancer Center benefit (1/22/17)
Body of missing Arkansas girl found, reports say
GILMORE, Ark. -- The body of a 7-year-old girl missing since Sunday was found Thursday in a northeastern Arkansas field not far from where her shoes and pink bicycle had been recovered days earlier.
The family's pastor, the Rev. Stephen Chitman, said police searching among corn and soybean fields found the body of Patricia Ann Miles, who disappeared Sunday morning after riding her bike to a grocery store. Television footage showed family members wailing after officers told them about her death.
Neither the state police nor the Crittenden County Sheriff's Office would provide further details Thursday night.
Patricia's bicycle was found early Monday in a cornfield, about 100 yards from her shoes.
A family friend was arrested on a kidnapping charge and was being held on $1 million bond. Jo Ann Buchanan, who occasionally baby-sat the girl, has refused to cooperate with authorities.
Investigators have not offered a motive for the kidnapping and Buchanan's relatives have insisted she is innocent.
Witnesses have said they saw the girl get into a van with Buchanan Sunday morning and later saw Buchanan take the girl's bicycle from the van in a rural area north of Gilmore, in northeastern Arkansas.
More than 100 police officers and volunteers combed farmland, fields and ditches in the search for Patricia.