- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)6
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)48
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- SoutheastHEALTH, Washington University School of Medicine announce collaboration (2/24/17)18
- City issues precautionary boil order near Arena Park (2/23/17)
- $22M bond issue would alter Jackson schools (2/22/17)12
Homeless people need better care
To the editor:
You ought to be happy if you have clean water to drink, food to eat, clothes to wear and a house to live in.
There are thousands of people who live on the streets. It is a sad fate. A lot of these people are on the streets because if they do get Social Security benefits, it does not cover all their needs. A lot of these people were thrown out of their homes because they were condemned.
One of the richest countries in the world cannot and will not take care of its own. These people go day by day not knowing where their next meal is coming from or where they will sleep for the night.
Some of these people have family looking out for them. They don't know where they belong.
DOROTHY SCHROEDER BUCHHEIT, Jackson