- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)34
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
Homeless people need better care
To the editor:
You ought to be happy if you have clean water to drink, food to eat, clothes to wear and a house to live in.
There are thousands of people who live on the streets. It is a sad fate. A lot of these people are on the streets because if they do get Social Security benefits, it does not cover all their needs. A lot of these people were thrown out of their homes because they were condemned.
One of the richest countries in the world cannot and will not take care of its own. These people go day by day not knowing where their next meal is coming from or where they will sleep for the night.
Some of these people have family looking out for them. They don't know where they belong.
DOROTHY SCHROEDER BUCHHEIT, Jackson