POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. (AP) -- An investigation continues into the fire death of a southeast Missouri woman, but authorities believe a cigarette is to blame.
Sixty-year-old Brenda Petersen of Poplar Bluff died Thursday. Authorities say a couch caught fire. Butler County Deputy Coroner Jim Akers says Petersen suffered third-degree burns over her entire body and suffered smoke inhalation.
The fire was contained to the couch. Authorities believe Petersen tried to fight the fire herself -- a plastic bucket was found near her.
Petersen lived alone in the residence.
Information from: Daily American Republic, http://www.darnews.com