- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Helen Ruth Burress, 74, of Jackson died Tuesday, Aug. 17, 2004, at Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.
She was born Oct. 24, 1929, in Atkins, Tenn., daughter of Wesley and Ozell Randolph Samples. She and Lawrence Burress were married Oct. 25, 1947.
Helen was a member of New Hope Methodist Church in New Hope, Tenn. She and her husband moved to Jackson in 1980 from St. Louis County.
Survivors include her husband; a daughter, Ann Godier and husband Gary of Wentzville, Mo.; two sisters, Barbara Schulze of St. Charles, Mo., Shirley Smith of Arab, Ala.; two brothers, Travis Samples and Sonny Samples of Memphis, Tenn.; and two grandsons.
She was preceded in death by her parents; a brother, James Samples; and an infant sister.
Friends may call Friday from 11 a.m. to service time at McCombs Funeral Home in Jackson.
The funeral will be at 3 p.m. Friday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Raymond McAfee officiating. Burial will be in Russell Heights Cemetery at Jackson.
Expressions of sympathy may take the form of contributions to the Arthritis Foundation.