- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Police: Woman arrested after meth found hidden in pants (5/26/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Two men face charges in Cape prostitution sting (5/28/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
Inland Florida hit hard by Charley
To the editor:
Hurricane Charley has come and gone, but not without a unforgettable impact on many of us for years to come. Having grown up in Perryville and having lived inland in Florida, I never thought I would experience the direct impact of a hurricane. We were the town most coastal cities migrated to when a hurricane was coming, and that certainly was the case during this hurricane.
Much to our surprise, the hurricane was at our back door with nowhere nor time to escape what Charley had to give.
Our electricity was restored late Monday, but we have been told that it could go out at any time. I also have had a phone just a few hours.
I realized just how much I have taken for granted. Believe me, I will never look at things in the same way. It only took a turn in direction to make me realize that without warning everything could change forever.
Before you lay your head down tonight, please say a prayer for all those who are less fortunate than I have been throughout this ordeal. And I hope you can find it in your heart contact your nearest American Red Cross and see what you can do to assist.
It's really a small world out here. I can share only one person's experience. Thank you, and God bless.
VICKIE (VAN DOREN) FLOYD, Sebring, Fla.