- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/01/16)
PERRYVILLE, Mo. -- Velda M. Barks, 76, of Perryville died Thursday, June 26, 2008, at her home.
She was born Aug. 1, 1931, in Perryville, daughter of Lloyd and Eleanor Moonier Layton. She first married Lee James Callier, who died June 24, 1974. She and Stanley Barks were married July 8, 1978. He died Aug. 9, 1995.
Barks was a member of St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church.
Survivors include two daughters, Margie Ginn and Debra Helms of Perryville; six sons, Larry Callier of Jackson, Terry and Kenny Callier of Perryville, Michael Callier of St. Louis, Douglas Callier of Fairfield, Neb., James Callier of Washington; a stepdaughter, Joyce Taylor of Perryville; a stepson, Randy Barks of Arcadia, Mo.; three sisters, Joan Jokerst of Ste. Genevieve, Mo., Sharon Pingel and Jacquelyn Estes of Perryville; three brothers, Robert Layton of St. Louis, William Layton of Perryville, Glenn Layton of Cape Girardeau; 25 grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents and a stepson.
Visitation will be from 4 to 9 p.m. Sunday and from 6:30 to 9:30 a.m. Monday at Young and Sons Funeral Home. The parish wake will be at 5 p.m. Sunday.
Funeral Mass will be at 10 a.m. Monday at St. Vincent de Paul Church, with the Rev. Milton Ryan officiating. Burial will be in Mount Hope Cemetery.