- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Tour de Corn cycles through Southeast Missouri
EAST PRAIRIE, Mo. — Mount up for the seventh annual Tour de Corn Bicycle Ride this Saturday in East Prairie. Hundreds of cyclists gear up and head out for 15-, 30- or 60-mile rides. For the supercyclist, a roughly 100-mile course is also mapped out.
The event benefits different children's charities each year. The 2008 charity is the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
The ride starts bright and early at 7:30 a.m. Saturday from the Family Life Center in East Prairie. Each route follows relatively flat terrain and well-marked rural highways to bring riders back to the Family Life Center. Along the route, snack stops serve refreshments and, of course, corn.
Make it a family affair bring the children along in a buggie or bike seat. The Family Life Center has bathrooms and showers to clean up after the ride and before the pasta lunch, also served at the Family Life Center. Lunch costs $6 for adults and $3 for children.
Cyclists can register Saturday before the ride. Race registration is $20. Everyone must wear a helmet.