- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)10
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
We go to Mars, can't find new fuels
To the editor:
It makes me sick to see elected officials on TV wringing their hands and shedding crocodile tears for the poor American consumer over the price of oil and what it has done to the quality of life.
It makes me wonder: Where have people like the Kennedys, Clintons, Obama, Bond and McCains (along with the other hangers-on) been since 1976 when we had lines at the gasoline pumps? Did they have their head in the sand, or in their campaign contributors' pockets?
We put a man on the moon. We spent billions of dollars on a spaceship to look for water on Mars. We are bankrupting ourselves in Iraq, but we can"t develop an alternate for oil? Give me a break.
ROBERT TURLEY, Jackson