- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Region briefs 6/25/08
Woman robbed after letting men into home
CARUTHERSVILLE, Mo. — An 83-year-old woman was robbed after being duped by two men to allow them into her home, the Standard-Democrat reported. Officers were called to a home in Caruthersville at 4 p.m. Friday. The homeowner told officers that while she was working in the yard Thursday, she was approached by a man and the two began talking. The man talked the woman into allowing him inside her home, according to a news release by the Caruthersville Police Department. A second man came to the door with a flooring sample. A third suspect allegedly came in the front door while being hidden behind the flooring sample, authorities said. It wasn't until the next day the woman noticed items, including jewelry and cash, were missing.
Man pleads guilty to manslaughter
BLOOMFIELD, Mo. — A Wappapello, Mo., man charged in the July 7 death of Peter and Susan AuBuchon of Bonne Terre, Mo., pleaded guilty to manslaughter Monday, according to the Daily Statesman. Jason Merrill, 21, pleaded guilty to first-degree manslaughter due to intoxication. The Board of Probation and Parole is evaluating the case and will recommend a sentence Aug. 4.
— From staff reports