- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
Bill to provide $2.6 billion in flood relief for the Midwest
An agreement reached between House Democrats and Republicans and the White House -- if passed into law as expected -- would provide $2.6 billion in additional disaster aid to replenish accounts already being tapped to deal with the flooding across the Midwest.
The money is part of the long-stalled Iraq war funding bill. President Bush would win $162 billion in long-overdue funding to carry out military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan into next year under the bipartisan agreement sealed Wednesday on Capitol Hill. The House is expected to vote on the bill today.
The bill also contains $5.8 billion sought by Bush for next year to build levees and other flood control projects around New Orleans.