- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Bill to provide $2.6 billion in flood relief for the Midwest
An agreement reached between House Democrats and Republicans and the White House -- if passed into law as expected -- would provide $2.6 billion in additional disaster aid to replenish accounts already being tapped to deal with the flooding across the Midwest.
The money is part of the long-stalled Iraq war funding bill. President Bush would win $162 billion in long-overdue funding to carry out military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan into next year under the bipartisan agreement sealed Wednesday on Capitol Hill. The House is expected to vote on the bill today.
The bill also contains $5.8 billion sought by Bush for next year to build levees and other flood control projects around New Orleans.