- Say Cheese: The story behind the famous sandwiches at the East Perry Fair (9/22/17)
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- Anne Limbaugh dies, leaves legacy of caring (9/22/17)
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Former football players provide leadership training at middle school (9/24/17)
- Cape Girardeau native Jessica Johnston to compete as castaway on 'Survivor' season 35 (9/24/17)
- New businesses popping up all over Cape Girardeau (9/24/17)1
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Young entrepreneurs add fresh ideas, unique offerings for area market (9/18/17)
Spirit of America
We know there are hundreds, if not thousands, of generous and dedicated people in Southeast Missouri who represent the Spirit of America, and every July 4 we are honored to recognize the best of the best.
Now is your chance to nominate a person you know for the Southeast Missourian's annual Spirit of America award, which will be announced at the Libertyfest celebration on Independence Day. The winner might be a volunteer, a veteran or someone who has helped improve his or her community over a number of years.
Last year's winner was James Harnes Sr., who was recognized for his service in the U.S. Army and National Guard and his commitments to bringing about improvements in Advance, Mo., where he helped establish a medical clinic. Other past winners were Neal Edwards, John "Doc" Yallaly, Dr. Dan Cotner and Melvin Gateley.
Organizations such as civic clubs, church groups, veterans organizations, sports leagues and school groups can nominate someone for the award. The organization that nominates the winner will receive $1,000 donation from the Southeast Missourian.
To nominate an individual, go to www.semissourian.com and find the Spirit of America ad on our home page, or call 335-6611 for a nomination form. The deadline for nominations is Friday.