- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Spirit of America
We know there are hundreds, if not thousands, of generous and dedicated people in Southeast Missouri who represent the Spirit of America, and every July 4 we are honored to recognize the best of the best.
Now is your chance to nominate a person you know for the Southeast Missourian's annual Spirit of America award, which will be announced at the Libertyfest celebration on Independence Day. The winner might be a volunteer, a veteran or someone who has helped improve his or her community over a number of years.
Last year's winner was James Harnes Sr., who was recognized for his service in the U.S. Army and National Guard and his commitments to bringing about improvements in Advance, Mo., where he helped establish a medical clinic. Other past winners were Neal Edwards, John "Doc" Yallaly, Dr. Dan Cotner and Melvin Gateley.
Organizations such as civic clubs, church groups, veterans organizations, sports leagues and school groups can nominate someone for the award. The organization that nominates the winner will receive $1,000 donation from the Southeast Missourian.
To nominate an individual, go to www.semissourian.com and find the Spirit of America ad on our home page, or call 335-6611 for a nomination form. The deadline for nominations is Friday.