- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Spirit of America
We know there are hundreds, if not thousands, of generous and dedicated people in Southeast Missouri who represent the Spirit of America, and every July 4 we are honored to recognize the best of the best.
Now is your chance to nominate a person you know for the Southeast Missourian's annual Spirit of America award, which will be announced at the Libertyfest celebration on Independence Day. The winner might be a volunteer, a veteran or someone who has helped improve his or her community over a number of years.
Last year's winner was James Harnes Sr., who was recognized for his service in the U.S. Army and National Guard and his commitments to bringing about improvements in Advance, Mo., where he helped establish a medical clinic. Other past winners were Neal Edwards, John "Doc" Yallaly, Dr. Dan Cotner and Melvin Gateley.
Organizations such as civic clubs, church groups, veterans organizations, sports leagues and school groups can nominate someone for the award. The organization that nominates the winner will receive $1,000 donation from the Southeast Missourian.
To nominate an individual, go to www.semissourian.com and find the Spirit of America ad on our home page, or call 335-6611 for a nomination form. The deadline for nominations is Friday.