- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)7
- Japanese restaurant up and running; owner surprised by fondness of sushi here (2/24/17)
- SoutheastHEALTH, Washington University School of Medicine announce collaboration (2/24/17)19
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)48
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- City issues precautionary boil order near Arena Park (2/23/17)
- $22M bond issue would alter Jackson schools (2/22/17)13
Spirit of America
We know there are hundreds, if not thousands, of generous and dedicated people in Southeast Missouri who represent the Spirit of America, and every July 4 we are honored to recognize the best of the best.
Now is your chance to nominate a person you know for the Southeast Missourian's annual Spirit of America award, which will be announced at the Libertyfest celebration on Independence Day. The winner might be a volunteer, a veteran or someone who has helped improve his or her community over a number of years.
Last year's winner was James Harnes Sr., who was recognized for his service in the U.S. Army and National Guard and his commitments to bringing about improvements in Advance, Mo., where he helped establish a medical clinic. Other past winners were Neal Edwards, John "Doc" Yallaly, Dr. Dan Cotner and Melvin Gateley.
Organizations such as civic clubs, church groups, veterans organizations, sports leagues and school groups can nominate someone for the award. The organization that nominates the winner will receive $1,000 donation from the Southeast Missourian.
To nominate an individual, go to www.semissourian.com and find the Spirit of America ad on our home page, or call 335-6611 for a nomination form. The deadline for nominations is Friday.