- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Community briefs 6/12/08
Program helps seniors drive more safely
Available by appointment to anyone 50 or older, "CarFit," a nationwide safety program, is designed to give a quick comprehensive check on how well a senior driver and his vehicle work together and discover how the "fit" of a personal vehicle affects driving. Checkups are conducted between noon and 3 p.m. at the Pizza Inn parking lot, 3333 Gordonville Road in Cape Girardeau (in front of the Saint Francis Medical Center entrance). Call coordinator Sharee Galnore at 335-7908 to schedule an appointment or for more information.
VFW to hold meeting Monday evening
A VFW meeting will be at 7:30 p.m. Monday at VFW Post 3838.
Southeast Missouri Pachyderm Club to meet
The Southeast Missouri Pachyderm Club will meet at 7 p.m. June 19 at Dexter Bar-B-Que in Cape Girardeau. The meal begins at 6:15 p.m. The program is "Candidates for 1st District Cape County Commissioner." Introductions and a question-and-answer period are on the agenda. Call Gerald Adams at 243-4199 for more information.
Trivia night to benefit multiple sclerosis patients
A trivia night to benefit people with multiple sclerosis will be held June 20 at VFW Post 3838, 1049 North Kingshighway in Cape Girardeau. The doors will open at 6 p.m., and the trivia begins at 7 p.m. The cost is per person, per table. Cash bar and food will be available. For more information or to pay by credit card, call Brandi Hamm at 573-225-5574 or Sharon Hileman at 314-303-6793. Prepayment and booking are essential.
Wampler family reunion set for June 22
The Wampler family reunion will begin at 10:30 a.m. June 22 at Cape County Park North shelter No. 10.
Cape public library holds summer craft programs
Macrame dragonflies from colored cording will be the craft project at 7 p.m. June 24 at the Cape Girardeau Public Library. The event is for adults and children accompanied by a parent. Materials will be supplied by the library; registration closes June 20. The library will hold a memory book program from 10 a.m. to noon July 12. Bags and decorative papers will be provided. Crafters should bring photos or small objects to bring personal meaning to the project. Register by July 9. Registration for both can be made in person, by calling 334-5279 or online at www.capelibrary.org.
Cape Civil War Roundtable to meet
The next Cape Civil War Roundtable program will be Sunday at Hanover Lutheran Church in Cape Girardeau. Club president Dub Suedekum will present "Sterling Price and the Confederate Military in the Civil War."
-- From staff reports