- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Albert H. Axelson, 83, of Cape Girardeau and formerly of Cairo, Ill., died Friday, Aug. 6, 2004, at the Missouri Veterans Home in Cape Girardeau.
He was born Dec. 4, 1920, in Cairo, son of Emil and Fannie Schlamer Axelson. He married Dorothy Meredith. Axelson was a member of Immanuel Lutheran Church in Cairo.
He was a U.S. Army veteran of World War II and was a member of Cairo VFW Post 2649.
Survivors include his wife; two daughters, Vicki Patton of Cape Girardeau and Janet Pirtle of Memphis, Tenn.; and four grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by two brothers, three sisters and several half brothers and half sisters.
Friends may call from 1 p.m. until service time Monday at Barkett Funeral Home in Cairo.
The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Monday at the funeral home, with the Rev. E. James Rivett officiating. Burial will be in Green Lawn Memorial Gardens in Villa Ridge, Ill.