- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Dexter man pleads guilty to rape
BLOOMFIELD, Mo. -- A Dexter man originally charged with child molestation has now plead guilty to first-degree statutory rape.
Christopher Abernathy, 35, was arrested in April on suspicion of the rape of a 2-year-old girl.
Abernathy allegedly admitted to the charges to the Dexter Police Department.
He is charged with the unclassified felony of statutory rape in the first degree with a person less than 14 years old.
Because in this case the victim is younger than 12 years old, the charge carries a mandatory penalty of 10 years in prison with a maximum of life.
The Board of Probation and Parole is performing a standard presentence investigation to determine what Abernathy's penalty will be.
The case is set for sentencing June 18.
Abernathy is currently held in the Stoddard County Jail on a $75,000 cash-only bond.