- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)4
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)11
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)21
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- Gender-neutral restrooms now available at Southeast (8/18/16)38
Speak Out 5/31/08
I WILL be glad when gasoline gets to $10 per gallon. There will be less traffic, and the streets will not wear out as quickly.
DON'T PEOPLE realize that when the price of gasoline goes up, other things are affected? Motorists won't be going anywhere because they can't afford gas, which means people won't be buying other things, which will hurt the economy.
Can't afford it
GASOLINE PRICES, utilities, food -- everything is going up except our pay. How is a person supposed to make ends meet? There is too much month at the end of the money. Something has to be done, and the government is not going to do it. God help us all.
THERE IS no reason why moped riders should not be held to the same standards as motorcyclists. Helmets, insurance and licenses should all be mandatory.
Pay it forward
WHILE FINISHING my Chinese meal with ice cream, I saw a man at the register paying his bill. We made eye contact, and I heard him saying to the man at the register,"Pay for her meal too." I said, "You don't have to do that." He said, "Yes I do!" He paid the bill and walked out the door. I was shocked and felt very special because of his act of generosity. His actions reminded me of the movie about a boy who "paid it forward." How many times do people give without wanting anything in return? So many times we see the dark side of life. This man gave me a lift. I want to thank him. His actions made my day.