- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)6
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)2
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
- Cape police warn of 'Grandparent Scam' (12/4/16)
Robbery closes Kingshighway, Kingsway
A possible armed robbery shut down part of Kingshighway around 6 p.m. today.
Cape Girardeau police responded to a call of a robbery at Medicap Pharmacy, 1020 N. Kingshighway. Police said that the robbery suspect had rushed into the pharmacy making demands, saying he had a weapon, though the Southeast Missourian has not confirmed whether or not the suspect actually had a weapon.
Police closed Kingshighway, between Cape Rock Drive and Hopper Road and Kingsway, which runs parallel to the east of Kingshighway, was also closed in that same section, according to Cape Girardeau Police Officer Freddie Hill.
The suspect was arrested a short time ago.
Police secured the scene shortly after the call, and an employee rushed out the back. The suspect remained inside, where police continued to negotiate with him for about a half an hour.
The robbery attempt is the second at a Medicap Pharmacy this month. On May 14, two brothers from Auxvasse, Mo., allegedly tried to rob a Medicap in Scott City using a knife and a fake bomb.
Look for more on this story later at www.semissourian.com or in Thursday's print edition of the Southeast Missourian.