- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Quote is taken out of context
To the editor:
One of the dimmest of the dim bulbs of rightist talk radio, Sean Hannity claims over and over again that he does not take Michelle Obama's notorious statement -- "For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country" -- out of context. Oh, yes, he does take it out of context. Or, rather, because of the way he does it, perhaps it would be better to say that he takes context out of it.
The full sentence reads: "For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country." The word "really" is an intensive: an adjective or adverb which serves to intensify the meaning of the word which it modifies. Her inclusion of the word means that there have been other occasions for pride of country before, but that the particular one which occasioned that particular statement of hers was one of Barack Obama's electoral triumphs, I believe it was -- and it stands out in her mind.
Of course, to include the word would not fit Hannity's agenda to, as he says, "stop Obama." When Hannity omits that word, he is fudging the truth. He cannot claim ignorance, because he repeatedly plays the sound bite on his program. Sadly, it only vindicates my low opinion of him and his ilk.
DONN S. MILLER, Tamms, Ill.