- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- Aldi store reopens after renovations (11/14/17)3
- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- Residents view pedestrian bridge as eyesore; city manager says it's designed to rust (11/13/17)8
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Cape native co-directs Thanksgiving-related indie film, 'Drinksgiving' (11/17/17)
- The Tungsten Groove to release first album featuring original songs (11/17/17)
- Son of Westboro Baptist Church patriarch discusses abuse, faith (11/15/17)6
- Federal jury finds surgeon Fonn guilty of kickback scheme (11/10/17)4
Major case squad
The Cape Girardeau County-Bollinger County Major Case Squad celebrated its 25th birthday recently.
The squad has been quite active in the last year or so, being called into action for two murders and a series of arsons.
The squad consists of officers and detectives from eight law enforcement agencies. It has solved 35 of 37 cases over a quarter of a century.
The idea of the major case squad is to gather trained investigators with different areas of expertise and levels of experience together immediately after a crime occurs. With more manpower, the major case squad is able to chase more leads than a single agency, which often lack the manpower to investigate a complicated and serious crime.
Those involved with the squad should be proud of their service. It's good to see cooperation lead to solved cases. The major case squad has shown its value over the years.