- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Community helps Jackson family with two cases of muscular dystrophy (9/19/16)
- Concealed-carry restrictions remain in Missouri despite new state law (9/18/16)22
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Children's exposure to meth via parents is growing; Mo. Children's Division seeing effects (9/18/16)8
- Eldorado Resorts to buy Isle of Capri Casinos (9/20/16)7
- Poplar Bluff man accused of beating a grandmother to death with baseball bat (9/18/16)
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
Major case squad
The Cape Girardeau County-Bollinger County Major Case Squad celebrated its 25th birthday recently.
The squad has been quite active in the last year or so, being called into action for two murders and a series of arsons.
The squad consists of officers and detectives from eight law enforcement agencies. It has solved 35 of 37 cases over a quarter of a century.
The idea of the major case squad is to gather trained investigators with different areas of expertise and levels of experience together immediately after a crime occurs. With more manpower, the major case squad is able to chase more leads than a single agency, which often lack the manpower to investigate a complicated and serious crime.
Those involved with the squad should be proud of their service. It's good to see cooperation lead to solved cases. The major case squad has shown its value over the years.