- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)3
- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- How the story of one dog is helping others (9/14/17)1
- Eyewitnesses testify about fatal shooting; men were using drugs, alcohol (9/14/17)
- Jury finds Harris guilty of murder, 3 other counts (9/15/17)4
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)1
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
Major case squad
The Cape Girardeau County-Bollinger County Major Case Squad celebrated its 25th birthday recently.
The squad has been quite active in the last year or so, being called into action for two murders and a series of arsons.
The squad consists of officers and detectives from eight law enforcement agencies. It has solved 35 of 37 cases over a quarter of a century.
The idea of the major case squad is to gather trained investigators with different areas of expertise and levels of experience together immediately after a crime occurs. With more manpower, the major case squad is able to chase more leads than a single agency, which often lack the manpower to investigate a complicated and serious crime.
Those involved with the squad should be proud of their service. It's good to see cooperation lead to solved cases. The major case squad has shown its value over the years.