- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
Major case squad
The Cape Girardeau County-Bollinger County Major Case Squad celebrated its 25th birthday recently.
The squad has been quite active in the last year or so, being called into action for two murders and a series of arsons.
The squad consists of officers and detectives from eight law enforcement agencies. It has solved 35 of 37 cases over a quarter of a century.
The idea of the major case squad is to gather trained investigators with different areas of expertise and levels of experience together immediately after a crime occurs. With more manpower, the major case squad is able to chase more leads than a single agency, which often lack the manpower to investigate a complicated and serious crime.
Those involved with the squad should be proud of their service. It's good to see cooperation lead to solved cases. The major case squad has shown its value over the years.