- Compliance check results in underage citations at four Cape bars (7/19/17)1
- Isle Casino to host wide-ranging career fair Wednesday (7/16/17)
- Buffalo Wild Wings to hold fundraiser Wednesday for ailing Cape officer (7/19/17)1
- 49-year-old homicide victim found in Cape (7/20/17)
- Sikeston detective's files about murder suspect missing from DPS (7/18/17)1
- Witnesses make claims of officer corruption in Box/Robinson case (7/17/17)1
- Cape city, civic leaders unveil downtown trolley service (7/14/17)6
- Park official: 5-year-old girl nearly drowns at Cape Splash, taken to hospital (7/12/17)4
- Business notebook: Jackson boutique has regional roots in retail (7/17/17)
Major case squad
The Cape Girardeau County-Bollinger County Major Case Squad celebrated its 25th birthday recently.
The squad has been quite active in the last year or so, being called into action for two murders and a series of arsons.
The squad consists of officers and detectives from eight law enforcement agencies. It has solved 35 of 37 cases over a quarter of a century.
The idea of the major case squad is to gather trained investigators with different areas of expertise and levels of experience together immediately after a crime occurs. With more manpower, the major case squad is able to chase more leads than a single agency, which often lack the manpower to investigate a complicated and serious crime.
Those involved with the squad should be proud of their service. It's good to see cooperation lead to solved cases. The major case squad has shown its value over the years.