- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Geneva Margaret Dirden, 92, of Cape Girardeau died Saturday, July 31, 2004, at Heartland Care and Rehab in Cape Girardeau.
She was born Feb. 16, 1912, at Whitewater, daughter of Louis and Mary Jane Hedge Rhodes. She and Elbert Dirden were married May 11, 1937, at Jackson. He preceded her in death March 10, 1989.
She was a member of First Baptist Church of Delta. She attended Southeast Missouri State University (old Normal School), taught at Delta Elementary in Delta and at Council Ridge School.
Survivors include a son and daugter-in-law, Joseph and Linda Dirden of Cape Girardeau; a sister, Loretta Crites of Whitewater; four grandchildren, Alicia King and Wendy Dirden, both of Cape Girardeau, Neil Dirden of Westminster, Colo., Petty Officer Bruce Dirden of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii; and two great-grandchildren, Courtney King and Colin King, both of Cape Girardeau.
She was preceded in death by a brother, Milton Rhodes; and a sister, Amy Surlet.
Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. today at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Funeral Home.
The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the funeral home, with Dr. Jay White officiating. Burial will be in Russell Heights Cemetery at Jackson.
Memorial contributions may be made to the American Cancer Society or the American Heart Association.