- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Area digest 8/1/04
The Heartland National 10-and-under softball team wrapped up the Midwest Plains Regional title Saturday in Chaffee, Mo., one week after the tournament was delayed by rain.
Heartland National beat Heartland American 2-1 in the championship game Saturday, rebounding from a 4-3 loss in the first meeting.
Halle Woodfin's two-run double in the first inning was decisive. Abby Anderson was the winning pitcher with six strikeouts in four innings. Miranda Estes relieved and Summer Burger recorded the save.
Katie Bond and Nicole Heisserer had the hits for Heartland American.
Bond was the winning pitcher in the earlier game Saturday, when she struck out eight. Anderson suffered the loss.
Heartland National had a pair of wins last weekend, beating Independence, Kan., 11-0 on July 23 and topping Washington, Mo., 8-0 on July 24.
Anderson allowed one hit and struck out seven against Independence. Halle Woodfin had three hits in that game. Brandi Glastetter, Courtney Scheeter, Burger and Kristen Vetter also had hits.
Kaitlin Glastetter pitched the shutout against Washington. Anderson and Woodfin each had two hits, while Estes, Sierra Miller and Vetter each had one.
Jackson Babe Ruth headed to losers bracket final
An eight-inning 8-7 loss to Sikeston sent Jackson's 14-and-under Babe Ruth baseball team to the losers bracket final in the state tournament Saturday at Booneville, Mo.
Jackson led 7-6 in the top of the seventh, but Sikeston was able to tie the score in the bottom of the seventh and when it in the eighth. Jackson can get another crack at Sikeston in the championship game if it can win the 1 p.m. losers bracket final game.
In late action Friday night, Jackson beat Southwest Ozark 9-8. Ryan Cheney picked up the win, and the offense contributed eight hits.
-- From staff reports