- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
Errors in Rotary exchange story
To the editor:
As a Rotarian, I was sorely disappointed in the article about the Rotary International exchange program. It is known as a group study exchange, not Lend a Hand as reported in the article.
The group study exchange program provides an opportunity for young professionals to observe how their profession is practiced in another country. An Italian team had visited Southeast Missouri this past spring.
Another error was the statement that team members learned "enough of the language to hold a conversation on a train." The only member of the team who could have done that was the team leader, Rotarian Larry Jackson, a linguist who speaks six languages fluently and has worked as an interpreter for both the United Nations and the European Economic Community.