- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Community briefs 7/22/04
Cape/Jackson Twirler Danielle Robbins, right is pictured with fellow Southeast Area Twirler, Peyton Gordon at the 2004 Miss Twirling Is Fun Majorette Competition. Robbins and Gordon earned 25 top honors in various events held during the day.
Robbins was awarded second place in the Miss T.I.F. Pageant and Prairie State Games Solo Divisions. She earned additional honors including fourth place and two participant awards in costume model; first place and two participant awards in basic strut; two first, third, and two participant awards in solo, and first and second place in twirl flag. The Cape/Jackson twirlers are under the direction of Kandi Staples. For more information please visit their website at: www.capejacksontwirlers.com
Activities planned for reading program finale
To conclude the 2004 Summer Reading Program, all ages are welcome at Jan Syrigo's Ribbit & Roll, an interactive conservation presentation beginning at 2 p.m. July 31 at the library. The grand prize bicycle drawing will be held immediately following the program. Participants need not be present to win. For more information, call 334-5279.
Salvation Army offers Meals With Friends
The Salvation Army, 701 Good Hope St., Cape Girardeau, will offer Meals With Friends from 4:30 to 6 p.m. today and Friday. All individuals are welcome to enjoy a hot, nutritious meal at no cost. Today's menu includes scrambled eggs and sausage patty, biscuits and gravy, peaches, blueberries, danish rolls; Friday includes turkey salad sandwiches, potato chips, apples, cake or pie.
Directories for senior services now available
Directories containing helpful phone numbers for agencies involved with senior citizens are available at the SEMO Area Agency on Aging, 1219 N. Kingshighway, Cape Girar-deau. The books are available to seniors and those with concern for seniors.
Flea market to benefit VFW building fund
The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3838, located at 1049 N. Kingshighway, will sponsor a flea market and bake sale from 6:30 a.m. to noon Saturday. Proceeds will benefit the VFW building fund.
-- From staff reports