- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Military digest 7/22/04
Dirden receives dolphin pin from U.S. Navy
Machinist's Mate Petty Officer 3rd class Lindsey Bruce Dirden recently received a dolphin pin for successfully completing the rigorous professional requirements for qualifying in submarines. Dirden is currently assigned to the USS Key West stationed in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. He is a 2001 graduate of Cape Central High School who joined the Navy in July 2001. Dirden is the son of Joe and Linda Dirden.
Helicopter pilot Kipper garners promotion
Lt. junior grade Rory Kipper, son of Paul and Bonnie Kipper of Cape Girardeau, recently received a promotion to his current rank in the U.S. Navy. He is a helicopter pilot and is moving to his new station in Guam. In October he will be deployed on the USS Essex.
Naval officers participate in SummerPulse exercise
Navy Petty Officers 3rd Class Michael E. Roberts, James L. Mercer and Timothy C. Carlisle are participating in SummerPulse 04, the Navy's first exercise of its new operational construct, the Fleet Response Plan. Roberts, the son of Elaine and Paul Roberts of Sikeston, Mo., is a 1990 graduate of Dexter High School. Carlisle is a 2001 graduate of Scott County Central High School. Mercer is a 2000 graduate of Charleston High School. Navy Seaman Jeremy C. Duty, son of Peggy E. Duty of Anna, Ill., and David S. Duty of Murphysboro, Ill., and Navy Seaman Tyler J. Mungle, son of Tina M. and Tracy J. Mungle of Sedgewickville, Mo., are also participating in Summer Pulse 04 exercises.
Marine recruit completes basic training
Marine Corps Pvt. Tyler J. Lalumondiere, son of Eunice J. and Mike A. Rousseau of Perryville, Mo., recently completed 12 weeks of basic training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, Calif., designed to challenge new Marine recruits both physically and mentally.
-- From staff reports