- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)18
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Teams jump into action at regional event
Babe Ruth officials in Chaffee were making preparations Monday to host the Babe Ruth Softball Midwest Plains region tournament later this week when they received notice that the 16-and-under division had to be completed by today.
So, while the tournament's opening ceremonies won't take place until Friday morning at the Frisco Park softball fields, the 16-and-under tournament might be over as you read this.
Four games were played Wednesday night in Chaffee for the three-team, double-elimination bracket. The local team, Heartland Mix, won its opening game 4-2 against the La Junta, Colo., All-Stars before falling 6-5 to the eventual champion East Colorado All-Stars. Heartland was eliminated 6-5 by La Junta -- the losing pitcher was Miranda Schlosser --and La Junta was eliminated by East Colorado 3-0.
Officials with Babe Ruth, with national headquarters in Trenton, N.J., wanted a seven-day notice period to make travel arrangements to the World Series for the winner of the 16-U division. The World Series for that age group begins July 31 in Abbeville, La.
The rest of the tourney -- which has teams from Colorado, Kansas and Missouri -- begins Friday with 10 a.m. opening ceremonies. The finals are expected to be played 10 a.m. Sunday.
Six teams are playing for the 10-and-under title, five teams are playing in 12-and-under and four teams are playing in 14-and-under. Local squads include Heartland National and Heartland American in 10-U, Heartland National in 12-U and Heartland National in 14-U.