- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Out of the past 7/20/04
10 years ago: July 20, 1994
Petition drive has been launched by group of public school patrons which calls for resignation of Cape Girardeau School superintendent Neyland Clark.
Sole dissenting voice at American Legion state convention was hooted down by supporters of resolution naming mule Missouri's official animal; brainchild of Cape Girardeau American Legion Post 63, group will next try to persuade Missouri Legislature to designate mule as state's official animal when it meets again in January.
25 years ago: July 20, 1979
Southeast Missouri State University track coach Marvin Rosengarten has been appointed interim athletic director of school by board of regents; search for permanent athletic director won't begin until after search committee is appointed this fall and will coincide with search for permanent president.
Abandonment of Missouri Pacific Railroad line serving 10 businesses in industrial area along Broadview and east along Independence would result in three of businesses being forced to relocate, Girardeans testified at public hearing in New Madrid Thursday conducted by state Department of Transportation.
50 years ago: July 20, 1954
City council approves appointment of Kenneth Cruse of Cape Girardeau as chief of police to fill vacancy that has existed for a year; Cruse is present Civil Defense director and assistant state service officer, attached to Cape Girardeau office.
Enlargement of city council room is underway in Common Pleas Courthouse, under direction of J.W. McBride, city commissioner of parks and public buildings; work involves shift in location of partition between mayor's office and council chamber.
75 years ago: July 20, 1929
Efforts to positively identify body of man found in Mississippi River, on Colligan's Island near Dogtooth Bend district south of Cape Girardeau, have been futile; skeleton was buried near where it was found following inquest conducted by Alexander County, Ill., coroner.
Leo Schoen has sold his interest in Schoen-Kern Used Car Sales Co. on Main Street to his partner, Charles Kern; company has been established but a short time.
-- Sharon K. Sanders