- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)11
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)9
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)11
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)22
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Cairo man pleads guilty to bank murders (3/17/17)1
Judge sensitive to family issues
To the editor:
I am writing in regard to the recent controversy surrounding Judge Peter Statler. In my own experience, he has been a fair and honest man. He shows concern for not only the needs and feelings of children, but for adults as well. He takes great caution when making decisions and looks carefully at the facts presented. He also utilizes the opinions of advisers such as CASA as well as the guardian ad litem involved in these cases.
It has been unfortunate that, as a victim/survivor of domestic violence, I have frequented his court many times throughout the past five years. These visits to his court, however, have provided me with great insight into how fair and unbiased he is. He has been quite tolerant of me and my continual request and withdrawal of orders of protection. It is my belief that he has a great understanding of and a respect for children, and I believe he is knowledgeable of the cycle of domestic violence.
I have found no fault with the family court system and especially find no fault with Judge Statler. My honest assessment is that he is one of the fairest, most unprejudiced judges that I have had experience with and whom I feel has been branded by unjust criticism. My hat goes off to him.
ANGELA ALCORN, Cape Girardeau