- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
Judge sensitive to family issues
To the editor:
I am writing in regard to the recent controversy surrounding Judge Peter Statler. In my own experience, he has been a fair and honest man. He shows concern for not only the needs and feelings of children, but for adults as well. He takes great caution when making decisions and looks carefully at the facts presented. He also utilizes the opinions of advisers such as CASA as well as the guardian ad litem involved in these cases.
It has been unfortunate that, as a victim/survivor of domestic violence, I have frequented his court many times throughout the past five years. These visits to his court, however, have provided me with great insight into how fair and unbiased he is. He has been quite tolerant of me and my continual request and withdrawal of orders of protection. It is my belief that he has a great understanding of and a respect for children, and I believe he is knowledgeable of the cycle of domestic violence.
I have found no fault with the family court system and especially find no fault with Judge Statler. My honest assessment is that he is one of the fairest, most unprejudiced judges that I have had experience with and whom I feel has been branded by unjust criticism. My hat goes off to him.
ANGELA ALCORN, Cape Girardeau