- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
Post office location
When the Cape Girardeau Post Office moved to temporary facilities on Christine Street last March, everyone -- postal officials and postal patrons -- hoped the move would be just that: temporary.
But, as postmaster Mike Keefe has noted, the decision-making machinery of the government moves slowly. As a result, no decision has been made on a solution to where the post office will end up.
The longtime post office facility on Frederick Street was abandoned after structural roof problems developed. The current location on Christine Street has always been regarded as a temporary solution. Both facilities are leased.
Throughout the time the post office has been on Christine Street, postal workers and patrons have made every effort to grin and bear it. But there are shortcomings with that location, particularly getting into and out of the parking lot.
Yet to be determined is whether the Frederick Street building should be repaired or the post office should move permanently to another location.
The advantage of moving back to Frederick Street would be that the building is already set up for postal service operations. But many patrons would see advantages to a more central location, particularly one that has ample parking and is easy to get in and out of.
Let's hope a decision comes soon.