- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)30
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Sister: Shooting victim died a hero (9/30/16)9
- Perryville couple arrested on felony drug charges after sting operation (9/29/16)
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
Post office location
When the Cape Girardeau Post Office moved to temporary facilities on Christine Street last March, everyone -- postal officials and postal patrons -- hoped the move would be just that: temporary.
But, as postmaster Mike Keefe has noted, the decision-making machinery of the government moves slowly. As a result, no decision has been made on a solution to where the post office will end up.
The longtime post office facility on Frederick Street was abandoned after structural roof problems developed. The current location on Christine Street has always been regarded as a temporary solution. Both facilities are leased.
Throughout the time the post office has been on Christine Street, postal workers and patrons have made every effort to grin and bear it. But there are shortcomings with that location, particularly getting into and out of the parking lot.
Yet to be determined is whether the Frederick Street building should be repaired or the post office should move permanently to another location.
The advantage of moving back to Frederick Street would be that the building is already set up for postal service operations. But many patrons would see advantages to a more central location, particularly one that has ample parking and is easy to get in and out of.
Let's hope a decision comes soon.