- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)7
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Man convicted of Perryville convenience-store heist (9/21/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)4
Consider future of U.N. control
To the editor:
As I gaze with wonder at the glorious fireworks on another Fourth of July, I'm reminded what they truly represent: "The rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air," which "gave proof through the night that our flag was still there." And I wonder how long our new interpretation of freedom of speech and freedom of expression, coupled with political correctness and tolerance of anything and everything, will allow this country to remain free.
We will not be conquered from without, but from within, as our national sovereignty is replaced by United Nations mandates. Think of making no major national decision without the combined permission of Russia, Germany and France, each of which has veto power in the U.N. Our mighty military will be gutted, along with the CIA., FBI and Homeland Defense Department because of a false sense of security from the United Nations. Our borders will be further relaxed, allowing terrorists to enter at will. Without funding for a future missile defense system to serve as a deterrent, we will remain vulnerable to nuclear attack. Business owners, who create jobs for non-business owners, will be subject to punitive taxation, and the economy will go back into recession. Every kind of perversion, now called self-expression, will be permitted and encouraged.
Today's Democratic Party is not your grandfather's. It's time to take a long and hard look at the goals of John Kerry and company. Don't just listen to his words, look at his votes.
BOB HILL JR., Cape Girardeau