- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Consider future of U.N. control
To the editor:
As I gaze with wonder at the glorious fireworks on another Fourth of July, I'm reminded what they truly represent: "The rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air," which "gave proof through the night that our flag was still there." And I wonder how long our new interpretation of freedom of speech and freedom of expression, coupled with political correctness and tolerance of anything and everything, will allow this country to remain free.
We will not be conquered from without, but from within, as our national sovereignty is replaced by United Nations mandates. Think of making no major national decision without the combined permission of Russia, Germany and France, each of which has veto power in the U.N. Our mighty military will be gutted, along with the CIA., FBI and Homeland Defense Department because of a false sense of security from the United Nations. Our borders will be further relaxed, allowing terrorists to enter at will. Without funding for a future missile defense system to serve as a deterrent, we will remain vulnerable to nuclear attack. Business owners, who create jobs for non-business owners, will be subject to punitive taxation, and the economy will go back into recession. Every kind of perversion, now called self-expression, will be permitted and encouraged.
Today's Democratic Party is not your grandfather's. It's time to take a long and hard look at the goals of John Kerry and company. Don't just listen to his words, look at his votes.
BOB HILL JR., Cape Girardeau