- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Cranberry walnut slaw is colorful treat
This two-cabbage slaw, unlike mayonnaise-based dressings, has a cider vinaigrette dressing that makes it crisp and light. Dried cranberries and sugar give sweet flavor, and walnuts add crunchy texture and a nutrition bonus.
Cranberry and Walnut ColeslawFor the dressing:
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon celery seed
For the coleslaw:
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 cup dried cranberries
2 cups red cabbage, finely sliced
2 cups green cabbage, finely sliced
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
Mix the dressing ingredients together.
Put the coleslaw ingredients into a bowl and toss with the dressing. Cover and let refrigerate about 3 hours before serving. Stir and drain off all liquid before serving.
Note: The slaw keeps for about 5 days, covered and refrigerated. It is good with roast chicken and cornbread. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition information per serving: 366.3 calories, 4 grams protein, 35.1 grams carbohydrates, 3.7 grams fiber, 25.4 grams total fat (2.1 grams saturated), 0 milligrams cholesterol, 9.9 milligrams sodium.
The brochure, "Marion Cunningham's Walnut Recipes For Quality Time," is available free by phone from (800) 758-2100; or by writing to the Walnut Marketing Board: Marion Cunningham Recipes, 847 Sansome Street, Suite 100, San Francisco, CA 94111; or on the Web at: www.walnuts.org.