- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)24
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
Body found in search for missing man in Meramec River
FENTON, Mo. (AP) -- Rescue workers have found a body believed to be that of the 19-year-old man swept away while wading across the Meramec River at a park near St. Louis.
Police have not released the name of the missing man. He and four friends were trying to cross the river just after sunset Wednesday at Castlewood State Park near Fenton in south St. Louis County. The water was apparently deeper than the three men and one woman expected.
Two of the men and the woman managed to help each other to shore, but the fourth person disappeared in the water. Rescue workers searched for more than three hours before calling off the search just before midnight. The search resumed Thursday morning, when the body was discovered.
The spot has a sand beach and rapids and is popular with swimmers. The water appears to be shallow but authorities say it is dangerous.