- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)6
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)2
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)47
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
Where is our nation's leadership?
To the editor:
In response to Charles Lance's letter, "Hate-filled diatribe was excessive":
This country has become just what Thomas Jefferson predicted in 1774. Our society has mistaken dependence for freedom. The vast majority expects the government to provide every facet of our well-being for us. Even after Sept. 11 the people of this nation do not understand that there are factions trying to kill us.
We have become lazy and unwilling to take care of ourselves, depending on government to supply us with everything. And when we do not get what we think we deserve, we blame the president.
Without some revolutionary leadership, this country will become like the socialist countries who have failed in our lifetime. Where is the spirit of independence this country was built on? Where is the can-do attitude we once possessed? Where is the pride in country that led us to victory in two world wars? Where is the respect we were taught for those who hold the top office in the world? What happened to our manners, our pride, our unity as a country?
We are on the verge of collapse, and no one seems to notice or care.
RODGER O. BROWN, Cape Girardeau