- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- MCA calls for protection of those found not guilty of animal abuse (1/10/18)2
- Scaling up: Long John Silver's adding an A&W (1/10/18)3
- Southeast to cut workforce to meet budget needs caused by state cuts (1/10/18)7
- Word to your superintendent: Glass rocks Vanilla Ice parody to announce cancellation (1/13/18)3
- Business Notebook: New rooftop restaurant to be atop Marquette Tower (1/8/18)2
- Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce recognizes commitment to community at annual awards banquet (1/13/18)
- Church, businesses set up pop-up homeless shelter as winter storm approaches (1/12/18)1
- Plaintiffs' attorney wants jury to see basement steps at Cape courthouse (1/10/18)
Where is our nation's leadership?
To the editor:
In response to Charles Lance's letter, "Hate-filled diatribe was excessive":
This country has become just what Thomas Jefferson predicted in 1774. Our society has mistaken dependence for freedom. The vast majority expects the government to provide every facet of our well-being for us. Even after Sept. 11 the people of this nation do not understand that there are factions trying to kill us.
We have become lazy and unwilling to take care of ourselves, depending on government to supply us with everything. And when we do not get what we think we deserve, we blame the president.
Without some revolutionary leadership, this country will become like the socialist countries who have failed in our lifetime. Where is the spirit of independence this country was built on? Where is the can-do attitude we once possessed? Where is the pride in country that led us to victory in two world wars? Where is the respect we were taught for those who hold the top office in the world? What happened to our manners, our pride, our unity as a country?
We are on the verge of collapse, and no one seems to notice or care.
RODGER O. BROWN, Cape Girardeau