- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)8
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)7
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
Where is our nation's leadership?
To the editor:
In response to Charles Lance's letter, "Hate-filled diatribe was excessive":
This country has become just what Thomas Jefferson predicted in 1774. Our society has mistaken dependence for freedom. The vast majority expects the government to provide every facet of our well-being for us. Even after Sept. 11 the people of this nation do not understand that there are factions trying to kill us.
We have become lazy and unwilling to take care of ourselves, depending on government to supply us with everything. And when we do not get what we think we deserve, we blame the president.
Without some revolutionary leadership, this country will become like the socialist countries who have failed in our lifetime. Where is the spirit of independence this country was built on? Where is the can-do attitude we once possessed? Where is the pride in country that led us to victory in two world wars? Where is the respect we were taught for those who hold the top office in the world? What happened to our manners, our pride, our unity as a country?
We are on the verge of collapse, and no one seems to notice or care.
RODGER O. BROWN, Cape Girardeau