- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Neighbors mystified over why man was killed by state trooper (05/03/16)22
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- 'American Pickers' visits Poplar Bluff (04/29/16)
Russell B. Welder, 66, formerly of Cape Girardeau, passed away Sunday, Feb. 17, 2008, while on sabbatical with his wife in Thailand.
Mr. Welder was born Oct. 25, 1941, in Big Run, Pa.
He was a veteran of the war in Vietnam and served 21 years in the Army. During his time in the service he was awarded numerous honors such as the Bronze Star Medal (for meritorious achievement in ground operation against hostile forces), Vietnam Cross of Gallantry w/ PL, National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Army Commendation Medal, First Oak Leaf Cluster, Second Oak Leaf Cluster and a number of Meritorious Service Medals.
Mr. Welder also enjoyed a second career as an official court reporter in Missouri 14 years. During his time as a court reporter for the 32nd Judicial Circuit of Missouri, he was the Region V vice president for the Missouri Court Reporters Association and served in that capacity several years.
He was preceded in death by his mother, Sara Welder; his father, Kenneth Welder Sr.; brothers, Boyd Welder and Kenneth Welder Jr., as well as his son, Joshua Welder.
He is survived by wife, Paisoon Welder of Manhattan, Kan.; children, Katrina Farrell, Kristina Wise and Karina Owens; stepchildren, Netipong (Ned) Ritthisorn, Praipan (Ohm) Ritthisorn, Panthep (Jim) Ritthisorn and Tula (Sam) Ritthisorn; a sister, Barbara Jane Montgomery of Visalia, Calif.; two brothers, William Welder of Palm Bay, Fla., Gerald Welder of Hudson, Ohio; and numerous grandchildren, nieces and nephews.
A memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. Monday (Memorial Day) in Common Pleas Courthouse, 44 N. Lorimier St., Cape Girardeau.
Announcement courtesy of Ford and Sons Funeral Home.