- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Community digest 6/28/04
Volunteers needed at Jackson Senior Center
The Jackson Senior Center, 402 E. Washington St., Jackson, is seeking dining room volunteers to work at preparing homebound meals. Food is prepared and delivered every day. Volunteers who wish to provide other services are also appreciated. Call Debbie Stockton at 243-4241.
Jackson Municipal Band performing Thursday
The Jackson Municipal Band will perform at 8 p.m. Thursday at the band shell at Jackson City Park on Route D. Special guest is Mike Dumey, the choral director at Cape Central Junior High School. Dumey's program will cover the full spectrum of pop and religious tunes. Bring a blanket or lawn chair.
Seminar on caring for elderly on tap
A free seminar for family members and caregivers of the elderly will be held from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Cape Girardeau Senior Center, 921 N. Clark Ave. Topics will include financial issues regarding long-term health care, qualifications for Medicaid, allocation and protection of assets, benefits of gifts to individuals and charities, and information on local resources related to aging. Representatives of Missouri Family Support Division, the Southeast Missouri Chapter of the American Red Cross, the Area Agency on Aging and Bradshaw, Steel, Cochrane and Berens will provide the information. Contact Mary Burton at 335-9471 to register or for more information.
Riverside Regional libraries update programs
Updated programs for the Riverside Regional libraries have now been posted. Events at the Jackson branch include origami at 2 p.m. on Friday; balloon animals and face painting at 2 p.m. on Friday; and a pizza party at 2 p.m. on July 16. For more information, call Lynn Farrow at 243-8141. The Oran branch has planned origami and ice cream for ages 11 and up at 1:15 p.m. on July 22 limited to the first 25 children who register. Sign up by calling Virginia Robert at (573) 262-3745. Programs offered at the Scott City branch include origami and ice cream for ages 11 and up at 1:30 p.m. on July 15 limited to the first 25 children who register. Sign up by calling Glenda Kenkel at 264-2413.
-- From staff reports