- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)6
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)2
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)47
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
Verizon recalls cell phone batteries due to burn risks
WASHINGTON -- Verizon Wireless is recalling about 50,000 LG brand cell phone batteries, some of which may be counterfeit, because they can overheat when charging and cause burns.
Among the 18 reports involving the TM-510 batteries, a phone exploded and burned the user, and a fire in a car began after a phone overcharged, spokesman Scott Wolfson of the Consumer Product Safety Commission said Thursday.
The batteries lack safety devices to detect overcharging, the commission said.
San Diego-based LG Infocomm USA Inc., a subsidiary of LG Electronics, said some of the TM-510 batteries may be counterfeit. Using a non-LG charger with these batteries increases the risk of overcharging, the government said.
The recalled batteries can be found in black or silver phones sold nationwide by Verizon Wireless stores and the company's Web site from April 2001 to December 2002 for $150 to $200.
The batteries were sold from August 2002 to November 2003 for $40 to $60. Recalled batteries are labeled with codes "AEMLLL 02220," AEMMHH 02220," "AEMLLL 02X25H" or "AEMMHH 02725."
The commission advises consumers to stop charging the battery and contact the company for a replacement battery at 888-351-2121, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. EDT.
On the Net:
Consumer Product Safety Commission: http://www.cpsc.gov
Verizon Wireless: http://www.vzwshop.com/lgbattery