- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Sands Pancake House moving to Morgan Oak location (8/11/17)1
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Cape movie theater to feature recliners, new food and drink options (8/11/17)3
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)1
Verizon recalls cell phone batteries due to burn risks
WASHINGTON -- Verizon Wireless is recalling about 50,000 LG brand cell phone batteries, some of which may be counterfeit, because they can overheat when charging and cause burns.
Among the 18 reports involving the TM-510 batteries, a phone exploded and burned the user, and a fire in a car began after a phone overcharged, spokesman Scott Wolfson of the Consumer Product Safety Commission said Thursday.
The batteries lack safety devices to detect overcharging, the commission said.
San Diego-based LG Infocomm USA Inc., a subsidiary of LG Electronics, said some of the TM-510 batteries may be counterfeit. Using a non-LG charger with these batteries increases the risk of overcharging, the government said.
The recalled batteries can be found in black or silver phones sold nationwide by Verizon Wireless stores and the company's Web site from April 2001 to December 2002 for $150 to $200.
The batteries were sold from August 2002 to November 2003 for $40 to $60. Recalled batteries are labeled with codes "AEMLLL 02220," AEMMHH 02220," "AEMLLL 02X25H" or "AEMMHH 02725."
The commission advises consumers to stop charging the battery and contact the company for a replacement battery at 888-351-2121, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. EDT.
On the Net:
Consumer Product Safety Commission: http://www.cpsc.gov
Verizon Wireless: http://www.vzwshop.com/lgbattery