- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Business Notebook: Yule Log Cabin gets home feel honestly (12/4/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Rep. Lichtenegger proposes change to term limits (12/4/17)7
- Fire displaces family of seven (12/5/17)1
- Buffalo Wild Wings moving to new location in March (12/2/17)2
- Fruitland Army veteran spends weeks helping in ravaged Puerto Rico (12/5/17)2
Verizon recalls cell phone batteries due to burn risks
WASHINGTON -- Verizon Wireless is recalling about 50,000 LG brand cell phone batteries, some of which may be counterfeit, because they can overheat when charging and cause burns.
Among the 18 reports involving the TM-510 batteries, a phone exploded and burned the user, and a fire in a car began after a phone overcharged, spokesman Scott Wolfson of the Consumer Product Safety Commission said Thursday.
The batteries lack safety devices to detect overcharging, the commission said.
San Diego-based LG Infocomm USA Inc., a subsidiary of LG Electronics, said some of the TM-510 batteries may be counterfeit. Using a non-LG charger with these batteries increases the risk of overcharging, the government said.
The recalled batteries can be found in black or silver phones sold nationwide by Verizon Wireless stores and the company's Web site from April 2001 to December 2002 for $150 to $200.
The batteries were sold from August 2002 to November 2003 for $40 to $60. Recalled batteries are labeled with codes "AEMLLL 02220," AEMMHH 02220," "AEMLLL 02X25H" or "AEMMHH 02725."
The commission advises consumers to stop charging the battery and contact the company for a replacement battery at 888-351-2121, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. EDT.
On the Net:
Consumer Product Safety Commission: http://www.cpsc.gov
Verizon Wireless: http://www.vzwshop.com/lgbattery