- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Former alt-rock frontwoman tells how she found Christianity (8/29/16)2
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Local priest met Mother Teresa, will attend canonization (8/31/16)
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Wal-Mart theft probe yields drug charges against woman (8/31/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Liz Glastetter (8/15/16)
- Scott City School District introduces new preschool program (8/26/16)1
- Cape police: Illinois union president hit woman in head with rock (8/28/16)3
A skateboarding plan
A lesson in practical civics is unfolding in Jackson. Skateboarding enthusiasts are meeting regularly with city officials to work out a design for a skateboarding park. Both sides are learning something from the exchange.
Two Optimist clubs in Jackson have pledged $60,000 for a skateboarding park. But skateboarders were initially unimpressed, saying they feared the new park wouldn't be challenging enough.
Then city officials asked the skateboarders what they wanted. And the skateboarders have been offering their suggestions.
In the end, the skateboarders won't get the dream park most of them would like. Such a park would cost far more than either the city or the Optimist clubs can afford. But, for $60,000 plus some good ideas, Jackson skateboarders will get a park that is to their liking rather than someone else's idea of what a skateboarding park should be.
Jackson officials deserve a pat on the back for asking the skateboarders for their advice. And the skateboarders deserve a pat on the back for participating in the planning meetings. Together, they are learning the art of compromise and the advantages of innovation.
Limited resources need not be a barrier to a worthwhile project. In Jackson, a cooperative spirit will go a lot further than any amount of money.