- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Out of the past
25 years ago: May 10, 1983
CHAFFEE, Mo. -- Despite a report claiming the land was only worth $2,500 an acre, the Chaffee City Council voted last night to purchase the land owned by the daughter of Mayor Robert Capshaw for $5,000; the land will be used to construct a new city water well and possibly a treatment plant.
PERRYVILLE, Mo. -- The Perry County Court has tentatively agreed to the request of Wittenberg, Mo., residents -- all five of them -- to legally disincorporate their town.
50 years ago: May 10, 1958
The 1958 Rose Festival and Garden Pilgrimage, under the auspices of the Council of Garden Clubs of Cape Girardeau, gets underway in the afternoon; aside from the tour of homes and gardens, tourists may view exhibits at the Knights of Columbus Hall.
The first act of vandalism at the new Jefferson School since it opened is reported to police, along with a description of a minor who possibly was involved in the breaking of six panes of glass and damage to the building's entrance.
75 years ago: May 10, 1933
The foundation of the south side of the three-story brick building at 26 N. Main St., occupied by the Johnston Hotel and Olympia Cleaning and Pressing Co., has sunk about four inches during the past week, causing that side of the building to settle; the building, owned by Ross Young, is adjacent to the excavation being made for piers and foundation of the new Montgomery Ward & Co. building.
Judge Frank Kelly, chairman of McKendree Chapel Memorial Association, announces that if 20 subscribers to the fund will send in their membership fee of $10 each, work can be started on rehabilitation of the old building.
100 years ago: May 10, 1908
Following the second Mass at St. Mary's Catholic Church, 14 new Stations of the Cross that have just been installed are blessed by the Rev. Eberhardt Pruente, pastor; the stations represent pictorially the principal incidents which attended the final journey of Jesus, the Way of the Cross.
The Rev. August Buetteman of Mount Olive, Mo., delivers the morning sermon at the German Methodist Church; the Rev. Schmidt of Bunker Hill, Mo., conducts the evening service.
-- Sharon K. Sanders