- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)18
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Bridge near Oran to be topic of hearing
SIKESTON, Mo. -- The Missouri Department of Transportation will host an informal public hearing about replacing the Route W bridge in Scott County from 4 to 7 p.m. June 5.
An approach to the bridge, west of Oran, Mo., was washed out during the March floods. The bridge has been closed since.
"We cannot stress enough how important it is for people to heed the signs and barricades and not cross the bridge," said MoDOT project manager Andy Meyer. "Drift collected with the floods and damaged the bridge and it was closed because it is unsafe for motorists."
The meeting will focus on replacing the bridge over Ditch 35 on Route W between Oran and Perkins, Mo.
He said an emergency contract for the bridge replacement is planned for June; if approved, it will be awarded in July with a construction completion deadline in August.
He said the bridge will be replaced with a single-span structure to limit the likelihood of a future washout.
The hearing will be 4 to 7 p.m. June 5 at Oran Elementary School's multi-purpose building, 310 Church St. MoDOT project team members will be on hand to discuss the project and answer questions. For details, contact Meyer at 573-472-5296 or call MoDOT's Customer Service Center at 888-275-6636.
Also, MoDOT is planning shoulder repairs for U.S. 61, a quarter-mile north and south of the intersection at Route Y in Cape Girardeau County. Traffic will be reduced to one lane with a 12-foot width restriction from 8 a.m. Monday through 4 p.m. Tuesday.